Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pad Thai

PAD THAI!! This is my favorite recipe to make! It's very easy, and so full of wonder. wonderful. It is my go-to recipe for potlucks and dinner parties alike.Cathy (a wonderful chef and mama) discovered this recipe in the book entitled "The Gluten-Free Vegan." She made it for Erik and I several times, and we ALWAYS went back for seconds. or thirds. It is really THAT good. I couldn't wait to get the recipe.
The tang of the apple cider vinegar combined with the spicy red curry paste and tamari sauce contrasts stupendously with creamy peanut butter and sweet agave nectar. Thin rice noodles and (flavorful!!) cubes of tofu topped with lime and chopped green onion make this meal a real powerhouse of deliciousness and flavor.

Trust me, you should really try this.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I always put in more)
12 ounces extra firm silken tofu, cubed
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 wheat-free tamari sauce
2 tablespoons agave nectar (I put a touch more)
1-2 teaspoons red curry paste
2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
1 cup bean sprouts
6 ounces uncooked rice noodles
4 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Note: Now I know many of you may not have all of these ingredients hanging out in the cupboards, but once you have these items (tamari, apple cider vinegar, grapeseed oil, agave, and red curry paste) they will last you FOREVER. I've made this recipe at least 4 times since I bought these staples, and I still have well over half of everything left. Splurge a little now, and you'll have these ingredients for a very long time. dilemma: "what if I don't like this recipe, and I spent all this money on these ingredients?" Believe me, if you are someone who is inclined to like thai-themed food, you will love this. If for some reason it's not your favorite, all of these ingredients can be used in different recipes. Take a chance! You won't be disappointed.

How to:
Boil some water for your rice noodles.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the onions and carrots. Sauté until the onions become soft, 4-5 minutes. Add the tofu and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes.
[Now would be a good time to cook the rice noodles.]
Add the vinegar, tamari sauce, agave nectar, red curry paste, and peanut butter.
Add the cooked rice noodles to the peanut buttery mixture and mix in the bean sprouts. Garnish with lime juice and green onion. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment